February 24, 2014

Worth the Money: New Mattress

I'm a pretty frugal person. In some instances, kind of cheap. I've had the same bed for about 8 years, and it was originally my sister's--she slept on it for about 6 years before I inherited it. It was always too firm for my liking, and wasn't a quality bed to begin with. After 14 years, it was looooooong past the point at which it needed to be replaced. But I just never wanted to pull the trigger on a new one, because nice mattresses are so stinking expensive, and my husband and I have had better (I thought) uses for the money.

But I also have had lower-back problems for a long time. Probably due to having a desk job and no abs, and wrangling with a 30-pound dog on a regular basis, but the crappy mattress certainly hasn't helped. Over the past couple of weeks I've been miserable, barely able to stand up straight, and lying in bed has only exacerbated the pain. So K and I finally broke down on Saturday and took advantage of the Presidents' Day sales and bought a new bed. It was delivered the same day, and I only wish I'd bought it years ago.

Holy cow, there's a world of difference between how I feel today and how I felt just a few days ago. Yesterday was the first Sunday in my memory that I actually slept in past my normal wake-up time (to the luxurious hour of 7:30), and I've actually felt well rested for the first time in a long time. My back pain isn't gone, but it's definitely improved.

I can't believe I waited so long to buy a new bed, even knowing that it would help me--all because I didn't want to spend the money! Now to get some new pillows...

What important purchases have you put off and wished you hadn't?

No comments:

Post a Comment